In recent years, mobile app development with Python has become increasingly popular. This is the technology that powers numerous web-based, business, educational, and even science apps. But what makes Python code for app development so special and thus worth taking a look at? Check out our guide on Web Application Development.
Below, we will discuss the important role that Python plays in mobile app development of various sorts, what you can accomplish with it, as well as list out its key advantages it has over its competition.
What is App Development?
App development is the process of creating an app that’s designed to run on a mobile device. Apart from the programming aspect of it, the process also involves bundling other assets into the installation file, including music, images, binaries, and so forth. When deciding between a website vs web application, it’s important to consider factors such as the intended use, user experience, and development costs.
One of the goals during the development process is to make sure that:
- The user interface stays consistent on a wide range of devices with different screen sizes and hardware specifications
- The app runs smoothly
- There are no bugs
- Proper security standards are followed
- The user experience is on point
Once the final product ticks all the boxes, the app is ready to be launched on the official app store or distributed via other means.
Python is widely known as a programming language that focuses on helping you reach a maximum level of productivity by making the syntax as intuitive as it can be. App development using Python projects often requires little else than understanding the core principles of programming and basic English. Since it also comes with an extensive library of importable open source modules, you often won’t even need to program complex functionality yourself.
Due to its popularity, you will find plenty of helpful resources that will help you complete the project you’re working on, and there’s bound to be a Python mobile app development course around every corner. Alternatively, you can avail yourself to various support communities along the likes of Stackoverflow where people post their source code and dissect it on organized discussion boards.
Is Python Good for Mobile App Development?
In the somewhat distant past, Python code for app development was not the developers’ primary choice due to them mostly gravitating towards native solutions (Objective C and Swift for iOS and Java for Android). However, a lot has changed since then. Nowadays, developers have a lot more freedom to choose a number of languages they deem suitable for app development, with Python being one of the better options.
In fact, mobile app development with Python can be an effective way to shorten the time it takes to develop an app due to it being productivity-focused and enjoying easily-accessible community support. You could effectively use a Python mobile app development framework to write the code a single time, then deploy the app to multiple operating systems from the very same source code. The compiled app will work equally well on Windows, iOS, and Android.
What Types of Apps Can You Make Using Python?
Mobile app development with Python is suitable for a wide range of different projects, including:
- Video games: due to the rapid prototyping functionality benefit you get with Python, making small little tweaks and changes is super simple, ensuring the characters and objects behave in the exact same way you had in mind. Fun fact: EVE Online and Battlefield 2 were both developed using Python.
- Business apps: launching a mobile app lets you utilize an additional traffic channel to advertise your business. If the app is in any way complementary to what your business is all about, business mobile app development with Python should be a no-brainer. To name an example, you could create a food delivery app for your restaurant or a direct ordering app for your eCommerce store.
- Audio-video apps: did you know that Python has several modules for displaying multimedia content? PyDub and OpenCV are only a couple of examples. The bottom line is, you can use this to create a streaming app, a video chat app, or even a team productivity app. It’s up to you and your creativity.
- Blockchain apps: as you may know already, cryptocurrencies operate on blockchain technology. Since cryptos are a hot commodity right now and the market is not yet saturated, you could create a blockchain app that capitalizes on that market trend using Python.
How Long Does App Development Take?
Since the length of the app development process depends on multiple factors such as the type of app that’s being built, features requested, and the scope of the project, it’s hard to say. In general, 2-3 months is a rough estimate for simpler apps. However, complex apps can take 7-12 months to complete.
The good news is, mobile app development with Python is as streamlined as it gets due to its built-in rapid prototyping and debugging features, not to mention the simplicity and intuitiveness of the syntax the developers are working with. Since an app that works for both Android and iOS alike can be compiled from the same source code, this is bound to save even more time, since separate development for different platforms will not be required.
How Much Time Does It Take To Launch It on an App Store?
Once the app is coded and ready to go, launching it on the official app stores is a quick and straightforward process. On Apple’s App Store, your app will need to be approved by a moderator, which takes roughly 24 hours or less. On Google Play, your app will also need to receive Google’s blessings before it’s allowed to go live. Typically, this takes 3-6 business days, but depending on the circumstances, it can be less.
Android Apps Made With Python
To prove that there is a myriad of Android apps made with Python, including the ones that belong to big brand corporations, take a look at some of the examples listed below:
- Instagram: a photo-sharing app that gets 400 million active users on a daily basis.
- Pinterest: a social network that’s focused on image sharing. Python runs in the background, using Django to quickly plow through a heavy workload of data.
- Disqus: a communication platform that makes it easy to moderate comments. Python and Django are to thank for its security and regular updates.
- Spotify: a music streaming app. The developers chose to go with Python due to its speed and data analysis features.
The Pros and Cons of Using Python for Mobile App Development
- User-friendly syntax
- Plenty of libraries
- Frameworks for web apps
- Enhanced productivity
- Open source
- Community support
- Runs slower compared to C++
- Memory consumption is not optimized
- Certain design restrictions
The Benefits of Mobile App Development With Python
Due to its user-friendly syntax and plenty of community support, the learning curve is virtually non-existent. This is bound to have a positive effect on the developer’s productivity as well, allowing you to churn out app after app and quickly tweak and debug them on the fly.
Keep in mind it’s open source, so you are free to use it, even for commercial projects – no license required! Its importable libraries give you quick and easy access to an extended range of complex functionality, including big data analysis, image manipulation, multimedia playback, scraping, managing databases and servers, and more.
Last but not least, hybrid mobile app development with Python is a popular option. Just write the code once and you’ll be set to deploy it on numerous operating systems, including Windows, Android, and iOS.
There are many iOS and Android apps made with Python, and it’s for a good reason. It’s quick and efficient and the results are cross-platform, making Python the natural choice for your next mobile app development project.
- Why is Python the best language for developing mobile apps compared to others?
Python’s easy and intuitive syntax makes development an absolute breeze, not to mention how quick to learn it tends to be. This allows for rapid prototyping and development. Its extensive list of libraries makes it easy to develop just about anything you want.
- What is a software development kit for writing mobile applications in Python?
Wondering how to create an app using Python? As it so happens, you will need to work with a library if mobile development is your goal. The good news is, there are plenty of frameworks to work with, including PyQt, Kivy, and others. These let you code and deploy cross-platform apps.